Friday, September 05, 2008

Six Foot

Well my one reader, it's September not July as you predicted. Some very brief thoughts on Six Foot:
Ran downhill for 1K and then hit stairs. Walked down stairs for 1K as there was no point running it was a traffic jam. Flew downhill for next 13K. There were flat bits and even the occasional climb but mainly down. Got to river slightly behind 4 hour schedule but knew being half fit and never having run previously I was only going to lose time so stopped to tape nipple. Ran uphil for 2-3K kept chugging when everyone around me was having walk breaks. Hit the Min-mini saddle and then the steep bit. Took to walking some. Hit the top shattered and smashed my legs through 2K steep downhill. Got passed by 2 guys who left me standing still. A couple more creek crossings ensured I was cold and wet as I headed to 1500m altitide. Ran walked the pluvimeter. Not as hard as it was portrayed but still long and tough. Hit the top and just jogged. Legs were mush. Eventually got passed by a guy who sounded like he was losing a lung. Thought I should be able to run with him. Did. Pushed on together until 5K to go when we hit the downhil stretch and I picked up the pace. Cramped almost straight away. Was passed by another runner while I sidestepped. He offered me a salt tablet. Took it on the run with no water and was almost immediately better. Ran strong until the steep 2K downhill where I was super cautious but still going quick. Passed by super-speedy "Sloth" of coolrunning fame. Hit stairs and cramped again. Went down them sideways. Came good and celebrating across the line in 4.25.

2 Comments:

Blogger trailblazer777 said...

man this is worse than "kennedy time"(i.e. leave when you are supposed to be there), mind you I'm a serial offender when it comes to lateness...6 months to update!!! If you update more often and comment on other peoples blogs, you will get more readers and a lot of this stuff deserves to be read...!
Guess you must be too busy running to blog much, a bit like Jane Savilles (4 time Olympian as a racewalker, Bronze in Athens) occasionally updated blog. She has some Beijing olympics photos there now
http://janesavillenews.blogspot.com/

but good to see the cape to cape on there...but seriously awesome to see the 6 foot report online, legendary stuff!!!!!!!

11:18 AM  
Blogger trailblazer777 said...

great to get a sneak preview of what 6 foot is like...sounds like the downhill/uphill mix is pretty savage with the cramping, legs mush, etc quotes...

Also sounds like you are capable of improving quite a bit on an already very impressive 4.25 that more than justified your preferred start. That you beat Colin and Victors times another indicator of just how dominant a trail runner you are as far as WA goes.

I hope to complete the 6 foot one day, although I am worried about how my knees would handle it I guess the only way to find out is to get over there and do it some time in the next few years...

Way to go Dave!, hopefully a few others of us in WA can check out the 6 foot in the next few years...especially if 6-inch continues to grow...

12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home