Tuesday, July 03, 2012

FEAR

Fear has become somewhat of a foreign concept for me. I remember catching the train as a teenager alone and at night. There was a large element of don’t show fear as if you were facing a wild animal. Fortunately I was blessed to never really face any dicey situations and I guess I faked it til it didn’t worry me anymore.

Moving on to my 20’s I found faith in Jesus and felt invincible. I didn’t start getting in street fights or walking the streets of Northbridge after midnight but I did take on big waves without fear or worry. Even paddling out at big Sunset before first light.

Fast forward a year or so and with my impending marriage I got the jitters. Not what commitment phobes would expect, but on a pre-marriage surfing trip I recall sitting in a stormy ocean at least half the size of the biggest waves I’d surfed and not wanting to die.

In recent years I’ve developed a habit of running in the early hours of the morning. Sometimes in the bush alone and  sometimes through the streets of Rockingham. I avoid the nightclubs but I feel like I’m missing something. I try to conjure up some potential threat but, I can’t really feel the fear. Even my healthy fear of snakes is fading.

However thankfully my recent trip helped me feel some of that raw emotion. In NZ I was staying at Arthur’s Pass and despite the rain of the previous day and the promise of more to come when I woke it was fine. Because of the rain (and central heating ) it actually felt quite warm. So for my trip up Avalanche Peak (750-1830m) I decided shorts and no gloves would be appropriate.

Going hard up the super-steep climb to the treeline I was plenty warm. When I emerged above the trees I was amazed to see snow falling for the first time. Unfortunately the trail wasn’t steep or dry enough to generate any serious body heat but I continued up never-the-less walking. As I walked and prayed about whether this was a good idea I felt compelled to carry on to the hopefully runnable descent of Scott’s Track.

Near the top I was hit by a blast of a cold wind and much heavier snow. The storm was back.  Time to go!! Definitely a taste of fear there. As I descended I got colder and thought “not taking  my gloves was a silly mistake”. With snow covering rocks it was unrunnable, but I still had a full proof plan, if I got too cold I could turn and head uphill again.

Nearing the bottom I started to think that I was lucky that the rocks weren’t slippery covered in snow. WHACK! Down I went before I knew what was happening. Landing hard on my hand I was glad I hadn’t done any serious damage as hands were definitely an advantage for the descent below the treeline.

I ran down the crazy descent carefully mainly because I hadn’t yet really run on this “run”. It was as much jumping down large steps as running but it was fun and I was safe. I was content to sit the wet day out inside after my early morning adventure feeling quite drained.

Later on the way home I was out running in bush in Queensland. Basically my bread and butter, Australian bush in good weather. However a few facets added to the mental stimulation of the run later on. In recent days I had seen an active and fairly aggressive snake and also a dingo. Talking to my sister she eased my worries about snakes but I was informed the real worry rather than dingoes was the wild dogs who had killed a domestic dog on their very street. I only took one 540ml water bottle and 1 gel for emergencies for a planned 3 hour loop. All was going well other than a cold first half hour until I came to a barbed fence around an hour in. I crawled under and was feeling the usual alertness of running somewhere I wasn’t really supposed to be.

Under the fence I found myself in a recently logged area and  headed in the direction in which I’d come. Unfortunately this proved a dead-end and as I returned to the logged area the obvious solution was heading up one of the super steep logging roads. Finally arriving at the top about 1.50 into my run I was confronted with another dead-end and bush. Knowing where I wanted to be was through the bush and over the mountain I decided I wasn’t going down and up another track and headed into the bush. Wearing my best running clothes I started dragging myself through the rainforest. Fortunately the area had been grazed by cattle so I wasn’t too worried about snakes but I knew if I hurt myself no person was going to find me. In much the same way as my full-proof plan of walking uphill comforted me I was confident any trained dog would find me given half a chance.

However as my walk headed beyond 30minutes I’d had enough. I wanted a pity party. I’d had enough of descending through thicker and steeper forest. I wanted a road. Then I realized there was no point getting upset I just needed to continue. Shorty after I came to a 5metre cliff leading to the road I wanted to be on. Slightly recklessly I down climbed it and was happy to know vaguely where I was. With little water and just the 1 gel for my now 4 hour mission I accepted my lot and headed home.

 Having been lost and short of water I didn’t worry too much about wild dogs but that night as I left our caravan for a midnight leak I heard something rush down the hill towards me. I stopped midstream and stepped back towards the caravan door. There was nothing.

3 Comments:

Blogger trailblazer777 said...

More good material there for your running adventures movie series. The most important fear to embrace is to FEAR GOD. I used to have a sticker of that on my first car. Ive got myself a little lost in the bush on runs sometimes, and gone a bit into survival mode, its part of the fun and adventure, but its also healthy to fear God and make wise decisions, because there are consequences of foolish actions that God does not always save us from, although He can. Brave, wise, careful, courage is better than foolhardy reckless absence of fear. Adventures and achievement and living life to the max require a degree of reckless risk taking and pushing the limits, but finding a balance between the two is important especially when its not just your friends and parents that want you to come home alive or able-bodied, but your wife and kids as well, and God also. Hope there is something useful in my comments there. All the best in your future adventures and thanks for sharing the latest amazing experiences!!!

5:29 PM  
Blogger dave said...

I forgot to mention my "shark" sighting at an isolated beach down south over summer.
I got out of the water and went running :)

10:23 PM  
Blogger trailblazer777 said...

Terra Firma much safer than the ocean in some ways, although plenty of shark/mankind interaction even in this fallen world seems to be ok. Obviously the larger Great Whites are often deadly, but I think there is a lot to learn about WHY they are, and along with most hazards if you are alert and willing to fight you can often give yourself more opportunity to overcome hazards, if you freeze in fear you lose quicker. My old coach (British SAS-20 years) told me some interesting stories. I'm guessing a lot of what would scare me, wouldn't even register for you. Sometimes thats a good thing, somethimes its not. Steve Irwin died in the ocean. The Most High is Master of all things though, and if He chooses to fight for us, nothing to fear, but we can't demand that He will, and we should not be overly reckless, maybe because this does not respect the established order of things? or something like that?

5:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home