Thursday, July 18, 2013

Comparison

Each of the last 3 years my running focus has been on the 24 hour Championship. Commonwealths in 2011 and Worlds in 2012 & 2013. Unfortunately after a great National Team debut with a Silver Medal in 2011 I have gone backwards the last 2 years. So as is my habit I've spent the last few months since this year's race analyzing what went wrong and comparing each of the races. So here it is: Wales- 3x 50K training runs 100K/wk on bike for ~10 weeks Time since last 100K run = 7months No weeks over 100K running Race surface 100% bitumen. Tune up race 5 days before =6K Distance at halfway = 118K Poland- 3x 50K training runs Some cycling whist injured 12- 5 weeks out Time since last 100K = 4months 3 weeks over 100K Race surface 50% bitumen and 50% pavers, 50% of these pavers were on an uphill section Tune up race 13 days before =12K Distance at halfway = 118K Holland- 7x 50K training runs (3 over 40miles during the preceding 4months) Some cycling pre-specific build up (about 4months out )& ~ 30min/week til taper Time since last 100K = 8months (previous World 24 - 228K) ~3weeks over 100K Race surface flat 50% pavers and 50% bitumen Tune up race 20 days before =47K Distance at halfway = 118K So what does all this mean? Reading between the lines of my previous post (Holland Race Report) it is obvious I wasn't a fan of the concrete pavers and cobblestones both much harder than bitumen. However race surface isn't really a controllable. I must race on whatever course is presented. Was 7 50K training runs too many? Interestingly I planned a similar number the previous years but injuries and colds prevented me getting them in. I think there is a real tendency to break the body down in preparation for a 24 and I'm not sure a 3 week taper is enough to refresh the body. My mid-week 20K runs were much faster this year suggesting I had recovered from my long runs quickly but during the taper I needed a few trips to the physio as the body started to feel the effects. Average weekly mileage didnt vary greatly but I had a much more consistent build-up this year. Virtually everything went to plan and I was no doubt fitter. However the setbacks the previous years may have been a blessing in disguise. How important was the cycling I did before Wales? In retrospect I think training twice a day with a bike and run session most days was physically and mentally an advantage. Sporadic cycling the last 2 years didn't achieve the same results. When I ran my 6K race 5 days before Wales I thought it was a risky policy but I had to earn some spending money and I would have done a similar session in training if the race wasn't on. With a good result in Wales I thought a hit out a little earlier was safer and chose the 12K City to Surf 13 days out. I ran well and recovered quickly feeling confident for the main event. This year with a 50K ultra scheduled 3 weeks out I traded my usual last 50K training run for a hit-out in a 50K race. The race though a few K's short was a good run and I recovered well enough and was hopeful of a PB. Alas it wasn't to be, which brings me to what I think is the most important factor. Each year I reached 12 hours with 118K. If as some say the first half is run with the body and the 2nd half the mind or heart you could theorise I was in similar shape each year. However when I reached 118K in Wales I had the rather juicy carrot of the WA record in my sights and despite being in an uninspiring 17th place within hours I was fighting for a medal. The following years 118K looked less and less inspriational and my main goal next time I race will be to get myself a total at halfway that will let me dream big. Till next time.

4 Comments:

Blogger dave said...

Apologies for the lack of paragraphs the blog seems to like to remove them

7:26 AM  
Blogger Liquorpig said...

Interesting read Dave, was your bike riding on road or on wind trainer. I have been doing 150k per week on the bike on road and backed off on the running and i think it is helping the running. You don't mention the weather in your comparison of events, and it isn't something you can control, but they were pretty horrible conditions in 2012 I think.

6:05 PM  
Blogger trailblazer777 said...

sounds like the 50k race 3 weeks b4 may have been too close to main race, and not enough easy cycling or hiking and too many 50k sessions = overtrained not ready to peak for raceday IMO. Stirlings?... Agree halfway total needs to be bigger, and need new mental motivational goals for 2nd half. Wales an easier course without the pavers and weather better but same for all. br inside < and >
for paragraphs... suggest you compare your prep with BB and Gambles prep also capt. JP. see if they did anything better. You finished strongly. Hilly trails your strength maybe target those races, or try again on the 24hr. Good to see ou doing comparison, but needs more detailed data perhaps, but good starting point. I compare my prep for Melbourne 42 each year have 6 years of comparisons now, but still feel like best result to come...but can see in detail where prep has improved. Keep analysing and getting better. Still a fantastic effort in Holland but way to go to find out what did and didn't work well...

1:36 AM  
Blogger trailblazer777 said...

Be interested to hear Mighty Mick, Olsen, etc thoughts on this too... You must have a big network of world class contacts now, I'd get their feedback on what works for them etc...

1:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home